Sunday, September 10, 2006

A shy and gentle man…A beautiful and gifted woman...A sad family tribute...

This is a an anniversary that we are compelled to remember, hopefully not more for the political ramifications than for the people who lost their precious lives on what should have been an ordinary workday in early September of 2006...

Wai-ching Chung
Mr. Wai Ching Chung was killed on that crystal clear September morning shortly after being hit by falling debris while waiting for the Manhatten shuttle that on any other day before had taken him to his office at Paine Webber in Weehawken, N.J., where he was a vice president.

His coworker Mark Turner wrote: “Wai and I would sometimes ride into work on the Path train together. We didn't speak much but he always had a smile and a pleasant spirit. I, and the rest of his fellow employees miss him but still have his smile embedded in our hearts. Our thoughts and prayers are continuously with his family.”

This sentiment is often repeated by those who worked with him, including his boss Jon Worth “You couldn’t not like him” he said, recalling the quiet, gentle and shy spirit of his fallen colleague. And it was some time before his office had the heart to take down the sympathy cards that came in or even to disturb his desk.

A dedicated worker, Wai only took the occasional extended weekend and counted those as his vacation time. He never wanted to be away long in case there was a database malfunction or some such.

Those who knew him well could tell you of his intelligent wit and the sweet manner he took with his nieces and nephews who he enjoyed spending time with.

He also had a meticulous sharp mind with a near photographic memory, and loved reading everything he could regarding both science and history.

Mr. Chung, who immigrated from Hong Kong as a child, lived in Brooklyn with his parents Ying-kwan and Pui-Ling Chung and his younger brother Richard, he also is survived by his sister Julie Tam, and her family.

Maurita Tam
Tragically his lovely niece Maurita Tam also was killed that day while working on the 99th floor of Tower 2 at her new job as an executive assistant for Aon Corp. By all accounts she was destined for great things, she was an accomplished singer and gifted with languages as well as a financial wizard on the rise! She was 22.

In the words of her mother Julie: “My brother Wai Ching Chung and my daughter, Maurita Tam...you will always be loved and remembered.”

  • The Man who's idea it was to get a bunch of bloggers to write a tribute to randomly picked 9/11 victems


  • Other Tributes


  • 2,996 is a tribute to the victims of 9/11.
    On September 11, 2006, 2,996 volunteer bloggerswill join together for a tribute to the victims of 9/11.Each person will pay tribute to a single victim.
    We will honor them by remembering their lives,and not by remembering their murderers.

    7 comments:

    Karmyn R said...

    LOVELY!

    I am going to try and get through all 2996 tributes - but it breaks my heart. A labor of love to remember. This has truly been a journey for me.

    Spooks said...

    Thats a lot of reading girl! I've read quite a few of them myself including yours to Donald. Very nice by the way, as usual I couldn't post a comment on your site. I wonder why that is, its making me crazy(er)...

    rosagirl said...

    Thank you so much for posting this beautiful tribute. They sound like marvelous people, and the world is darker without them. God bless America.

    Spooks said...

    Thank you for stoping by to read it Rosagirl, indeed the world is a darker place now...

    Karmyn R said...

    spooks - anytime I can't post, I just right click and choose OPEN - most of the time it works. bummer...

    I didn't get through all 2996 - about my 200th one, my brain fried out. It became too depressing. Every one of those people died too soon and they all left families behind. I had to stop and start thinking about my own. I was getting sucked into a "pit of despair".

    Spooks said...

    Thanks for the tip darlin'. I know what ya' mean by the pit of despair, I got trough about 60 of them and couldn't go on...

    BrassyLady said...

    Thank you for sharing Wai-Ching's story with us..

    My thoughts and prayers were with all the families on this 5th Anniversary of 9/11.

    God bless you,

    Hugs,
    BrassyLady (2,996 blogger)

    You may visit my tribute at:

    http://www.geocities.com/brassylady57/InMemoryOf/MarkandStephenColaio.html